‘Tinubu Has Failed Because He Is Not in Charge’ — Peter Obi



Former Anambra State governor and 2027 presidential hopeful Peter Obi has criticised the administration of President Bola Tinubu, declaring that the government has failed to meet Nigerians’ expectations.

Obi made the assessment while responding to a question from journalist Ojy Okpe on how he believed the Tinubu administration had performed since taking office.

“You should ask the people. But if you ask me, I will tell you he has failed because he is not in charge,” Obi said.

The former governor also criticised what he described as the president’s foreign vacations, arguing that Nigeria’s leaders should demonstrate confidence in the country by spending their holidays at home.

“Why will a Nigerian president go on vacation in other countries? As president, I will take my vacation here in Nigeria,” he said.

Obi further outlined what he said would be his approach to public infrastructure, promising to prioritise the rehabilitation of existing facilities rather than embarking on new projects.

“I will make sure no new offices or projects are built until we fix the existing ones. I won’t build new roads until all the existing roads are fixed,” he said.

The 2027 presidential hopeful also criticised leaders who, according to him, remain distant from communities and ordinary Nigerians.

“I won’t be the president who cannot visit a community and instead only talks to people at the airport,” Obi said.

He also used the issue of presidential aircraft to illustrate his argument for greater fiscal discipline, saying he would not purchase a new jet if the money could instead be deployed to healthcare.

“I won’t buy a new jet when I know that money can build hundreds of healthcare centres,” he said.

Obi has consistently presented infrastructure rehabilitation, public-sector efficiency and investment in human development as key components of his political message. His latest remarks similarly focused on redirecting public resources towards existing infrastructure and essential services.

His criticism comes as he prepares for the 2027 presidential contest, where he has positioned himself as an alternative to the current administration. Obi's political profile and his 2027 ambitions have continued to attract significant national attention.


Comments

Earn Free Bitcoin