Hafsat Abubakar Speaks After Arrest Over Alleged Fake OPay Shutdown Notice


X creator Hafsat Abubakar has spoken out following her arrest over a social media post allegedly containing a forged notice claiming that OPay was shutting down its operations in Nigeria.

Abubakar said she deleted the post after seeing a notice from OPay stating that the information was fake. She also said she publicly apologised after removing the post.

“After I posted it on my X page, I deleted it when I saw OPay’s notice that it was fake, and I publicly apologized. Five days later, I was picked up in Zaria, Kaduna State, following a petition by OPay,” she said.

Reports indicate that Abubakar, 27, was arrested on September 4, 2026, following a petition reportedly submitted by OPay Digital Services.

The case centres on an alleged forged document circulated online and falsely suggesting that OPay was ending its operations in Nigeria. Vanguard also reported that Abubakar described her account of what happened after the post was published and subsequently deleted.

The development has generated discussion online, particularly around the circumstances surrounding the arrest and whether deleting the post and issuing an apology should have affected the subsequent legal action.

The allegations against Abubakar remain subject to due process, and an arrest or petition does not by itself establish criminal guilt.

The incident also highlights the potential consequences of circulating unverified corporate announcements on social media, particularly when such claims could affect public confidence in financial or payment platforms.


Comments

Earn Free Bitcoin